Hamilton Farmers' Market
About the Market

The Hamilton Farmers' Market was established in 1837 and is overseen by the City of Hamilton. Open year round with 60 vendors. Choose from local, national and international foods including produce, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, deli, baked goods, flowers, specialty foods and artisans. Located in the heart of downtown beside Jackson Square and Hamilton Public Library.

Board of Directors
  • Membership 2015 - 2019
  • Marisa DiCenso, Chair, Community Member
  • Peter Badenhorst, Vice-Chair, Community Member
  • Eric Miller, Treasurer & Secretary, Community Member
  • Charlie Chiarelli, Vendor
  • Shane Coleman, Vendor
  • Councillor Jason Farr, City of Hamilton
  • Ron Jepson, Vendor
  • Matt Pigeon, Vendor
  • Councillor Robert Pasuta, City of Hamilton

  • Non-voting
  • Pat Elliot-Moyer, Public Health, City of Hamilton
  • Bill Slowka, Manager, Hamilton Farmers’ Market
Board Meeting Minutes Archive

http://www.h4x.ca/hfm

Timeline
  • 2016
    180TH ANNIVERSARY PREPARATIONS
    As the market heads into its 180th year in 2017, the market prepares for upcoming events.
  • 1920
    OPEN AIR MARKET
    When fire consumed the Market Hall at the end of 1917, makeshift shelters were erected and the open air market remained busy.  Still plenty of horse-drawn rigs among the motorized trucks.  Looking north (left to right) the Waldorf Hotel, the Savoy theatre and Hilda’s cigar factory.  The open air Market was considered the largest open air Market in Canada for the first half of the 20th century.
  • 1929
    PERMANENT SHELTERS
    Permanent shelters were built five years after the fire in 1922.  The new Eaton’s store towers over the small Butter Hall which everybody complained about for twenty years.  Streetcar tracks run along York Street and the horses have gone.
  • 1959
    STALL REMOVAL
    The conflict between cars and Market came to a head in the 1950’s.  Three days a week, the Market was a bottleneck in the city’s one-way street system.  Bit by bit the street stalls around the Market were removed.  City Council voted in 1958, after eight years of debate, to clear the Market place and build a parking garage at York and MacNabb.  The decision included a promise to preserve the historical nature, essential characteristics and atmosphere of an open air market. 
  • 1961
    LAST STANDS
    The stalls lining York & MacNab parking garage were the last stand of the open air Market. 
  • 1980
    URBAN RENEWAL
    At the end of the 1960’s, work began on an ambitious urban renewal plan, starting with the demolition of the Victorian city centre shopping area around the Market place.  The result in the mini-city block bounded by King, Bay, York & James with offices, shops, library, cinemas, hotel and arena – all enclosed in a climate controlled atmosphere.  In the fall of 1980, the Market moved into its new current location sharing a facility with the Hamilton Public Library.
  • 1875
    FIRST PHOTO
    The first photograph of Market Square looking northwest along York Street.  The picture was taken from the bell tower atop the second Market House and City Hall, which replaced the original 1839 building.
  • 1883
    MARKET & OLD CITY HALL
    The Market place and old City Hall on James Street North.  The main floor of the building was the Market Hall.  City Council met upstairs.  The sheds housed stalls for butchers, dairy and poultry farmers.  Fruit and vegetable growers operated from their wagons.
  • 1895
    NEW CITY HALL
    The new City Hall which opened in 1890 with all year round open air Market with farmers rigs’ filling the Market Square.
  • 1898
    NEW MARKET HALL BUILT
    The Market Hall, built in 1885 was an astonishing specimen of architecture.  Under the spires and copper-topped dome, meat and eggs, butter and cheese, were on sale all year round.  New steel shelters line one side of the open space and the Market place is still full of farmers’ rigs. 
  • 2015
    BOARD OF DIRECTORS
    Creation of a community and vendor based Board of Directors to govern the Market including representation from City of Hamilton Council and Public Health.
  • 1837
    OPENING OF THE MARKET
    Andrew and Mary Miller transferred a small piece of land to the President and Board of Police of the Town of Hamilton. This land was to be used for a Market.
  • 2011
    MARKET RENO
    Major renovation in Market including plumbing for all stalls and the installation and restoration of the Birk’s Clock.
  • 2017
    PRESENT DAY
HAMILTON FARMERS' MARKET