What better way to celebrate our nation’s birthday than with a delicious homemade meal in your own backyard? The Hamilton Farmers’ Market wants to help you plan the perfect backyard BBQ.
You can visit the Market this July Long Weekend during the following hours:
Build your shopping list according to our delicious mouth-watering BBQ recipes. The barbecue is a multipurpose cooking tool that can prepare much more than just your main course. With a little creative thinking, you can spend your time outside making your entire meal and enjoying the sunshine.
Lime Chili Chicken
- In a large bowl, whisk together chili sauce, lime juice, and soy sauce. Set aside 1⁄4 cup marinade.
- Add chicken to a large resealable plastic bag and pour in marinade. Let marinate in the fridge at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- When ready to grill, heat grill to high. Oil grates and grill chicken.
- Drizzle with set aside marinade and garnish with green onions. Serve with lime wedges
Note: You can sub chicken for any other main such as beef, shrimp, pork etc…
Grilled Ontario Asparagus
- Let your grill (or grill pan) preheat. You want the grill hot so that you hear a sizzle as soon as the asparagus hits the grate. This is where that char comes to play.
- Cut off the woody ends. Trim the bottom inch off each spear. It’s the part that tends to be super tough.
- Season your asparagus generously. Not enough salt = bland. Don’t be afraid to add herbs for some extra flavouring. Toss asparagus lightly in oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Be patient. If the stalks are pretty big, they might take longer to cook. The asparagus is ready when you can easily pierce the middle with a fork.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until tender and charred, 3 to 4 minutes.
Watermelon Feta Salad
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt.
- In a large serving bowl, combine watermelon, cucumber, feta, red onion, and mint. Pour over the dressing, tossing to combine.
- Garnish with more mint and flaky sea salt.
Remember, any dish is delicious with local Ontario produce, and summer is the best time of year to take advantage of it. There’s nothing like the aroma and flavour of just-picked fruits & vegetables.
Plan your trip to the Hamilton Farmers’ Market for the long weekend!