Ron Jepson, small business owner of Jepson’s Fresh Meats (stall inside the Hamilton Farmers’ Market) is providing Market customers with his Ultimate Barbecue Sauce recipe.
The sauce is a delicious addition to your backyard BBQ’s & is certain to be a crowd-pleaser at a party. Pairs perfectly with Jepson’s Pulled Pork sandwiches.
Here’s a list of all the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp. red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cooking directions: (Prep & cook time 35 minutes)
- Wrap the bacon around the thyme bunch and tie with kitchen twine to make a nice bundle.
- Heat a 2-count of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme bundle and cook slowly for 3 to 4 minutes, to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste
- Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly without colouring for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, give the sauce a stir and turn the heat down to low.
- Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavours.
- Strain the sauce to remove the bacon and thyme and onion. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you are interested in more recipes from Jepson’s Fresh Meats visit their website. Jepson’s Fresh Meats is located inside the Hamilton Farmers’ Market on the second level. Enjoy freshly cut butcher meats from Jepson’s. You can find their stall on our Market map here. Check out the Market’s wide variety of vendors & products. Plan your trip today!