Market Vegetable Soup2019 / 10 / 29
Stir up a delicious vegetable soup with your veggies from the Market. We’re providing you with an easy to prepare, healthy vegetable soup recipe for the colder weather. Loaded with healthy nutrients, vegetable soup is a great way to use up all those farmers’ market veggies!
This recipe takes 15 minutes to prep & 20 minutes to cook and serves 4 people.
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced (or a large leek)
- 2 cups diced carrot (2 medium carrots)
- 2 cups diced celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup diced fennel bulb (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 cups diced zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 4 cups veggie stock or broth, chicken or beef stock, or bone broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
Other optional soup additions:
- Sliced tomato
- Diced bell peppers
- Chopped potatoes
- Diced cabbage
- Shredded kale
- Cooked beans (chickpeas, white beans, etc.) or cooked grain.
- First, you will need a large pot or dutch oven to prepare the soup in. Heat oil over medium heat on a stovetop.
- Sauté onions until they turn a deep gold in colour. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
- Add to the pot diced carrots, celery, fennel, garlic, and thyme.
- Begin to sauté the vegetables together for 7 to 8 minutes, be sure to stir the mixture often.
- Add into the mixture: zucchini, green beans, soup stock, water, bay leaves and salt.
- Optional: Add the optional tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes, or bell pepper)
- You will want to cover the soup mixture until it simmers. Keep covered until your carrots achieve a tender exterior texture. It usually takes about 10 to 12 minutes.
- After the 10 to 12 minutes, taste the soup mixture. Add salt as needed.
- Garnish with a drizzle of good olive oil, crusty bread, or shaved parmesan or pecorino.
You can purchase your fresh veggies for this recipe at the Hamilton Farmers’ Market. The Market is open year-round on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) & Saturday (7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) for your shopping convenience. Plan your trip to the Market today!