This berry is a classic summer favourite! Ontario Raspberries are usually ruby red in colour & are known for their intense berry flavor and aroma. You can find sweet Ontario Raspberries right now at the Hamilton Farmers’ Market!
Fun Facts about Ontario Raspberries:
- Most likely native to Asia, wild raspberries have been eaten since prehistoric times.
- The Crusaders wrote poems about the delicious fruit with the heady perfume they found on their way to Jerusalem.
- In North America, raspberries were considered a luxury well into the mid-1800s.
Buying and Storing Tips:
When buying, look for firm, dry berries. Raspberries are very fragile, so handle with care. Store fresh raspberries in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
To freeze raspberries for later, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Then transfer to a sealed plastic bag or container.
How to Prep your Raspberries:
Just before serving, gently and lightly rinse under cold running water, then carefully drain on paper towel.
How & Where To Eat Them:
- Raspberries make a delicious snack & are most commonly eaten as they are, or with fresh cream poured on top
- They are also great for baking & are a light / delicious ingredient when included in mousses and tarts
- They are great paired with many types of meat, including fish, chicken or lamb
- Raspberry vinaigrette can be used to dress salads or vegetables or to marinate grilled meats or fish
Summer Sweet Raspberry Smoothie
Enjoy a delicious Raspberry breakfast smoothie that is so easy to make! It’s a great way to start your busy morning with a nutritious smoothie.
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 banana
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Almond milk
- A handful of raspberries
- Add all ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more raspberries for garnish on the side & enjoy!
You can enjoy Ontario Raspberries right now at the Hamilton Farmers’ Market. Plan your trip today!