Ontario Peaches: Now in Season2019 / 08 / 21
Enjoy Ontario Peaches now available in the Hamilton Farmers’ Market. These fruits are a tasty treat for your taste buds. They are often available in late July to early August.
Early Ontario peach varieties, such as Early Redhaven, are best eaten fresh. Mid-season and late varieties are used most often for cooking or preserving. However, they are still delicious to be eaten fresh.
One medium-sized peach contains 37 calories and is an excellent source of Vitamin C.
When shopping, look for peaches that are moderately firm, with a smooth exterior skin and sweet aroma. Try to avoid wrinkled skin or a greenish tinge at the end, or extremely soft, bruised or blemished fruit.
- Keep peaches that are still solid to touch, at room temperature out of the direct sun.
- Ripe peaches should be kept refrigerated in a single layer for no longer than five days.
- Overripe (extremely soft) peaches should be used, fresh or in cooking, at once.
- Before eating or cooking, gently rinse under running water.
- TIP: To make peeling easier, first briefly immerse in hot/boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds.
- If you are planning on serving peaches on a fruit tray an easy way to keep sliced peaches from browning, is to toss lightly in lemon juice. Sliced peaches can also be frozen.
The sweet taste of peaches is popular in the following dishes:
- Freshly sliced peaches paired with vanilla ice cream
- Peaches are often used in cobblers, crisps, or gently cooked with brown sugar.
- They also can be preserved and made into jam
- Peaches are delightful in your dinner main course as part of a fruit salads
- They also make a great topping for breakfast cereals, pancakes or waffles.
You can grab a basket of Ontario Peaches today from the Hamilton Farmers’ Market. We are located in the heart of downtown Hamilton (35 York Blvd). Open Tuesday, Thursday & Friday (8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) & Saturday (7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) Plan your trip today!