Just in time for Thanksgiving weekend, Anne Miller of the Artisan Market is bringing the Hamilton Farmers’ Market customers a tasty festive treat! Pumpkin Fritters is a specialty dish from Barbados.
Pumpkin fritters are served sprinkled with sugar and spice, but they are eaten as a side dish, not a dessert.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 2lbs/1kg pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons mixed powdered spice or cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 5oz/155g flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Canola oil for frying
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons brown sugar mixed with1 teaspoon mixed powdered spice
- Peel, cut up and boil the pumpkin in salted water until soft.
- Drain and mash pumpkin. In a little bowl mix the sugar and spice and add to the pumpkin.
- Whisk an egg and mix into the pumpkin along with the milk. Add baking powder and flour until it comes to a good dropping consistency.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Drop batter by spoonful into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon
- Shallow fry both sides on medium heat until dark brown. Adjust heat when cooking so fritters cook through without burning. These fritters should be thin with a creamy consistency inside when cooked.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with the mixture of sugar and spice.
This recipe makes 20 to 25 fritters.
Pumpkin fritters are a great recipe for the October months, a great addition for a Thanksgiving meal. Visit the Hamilton Farmers’ Market during the harvest season this fall.
During your visit, be sure to visit Anne Miller at her small business “The Artisan Market.” Anne specializes in many beautiful handmade products & is a great place to shop for unique gift ideas.